The number one question people ask about the use of drones in photography is: “Isn’t it illegal to hire a drone operator for the purpose of commercial aerial photography?” The answer is YES and No. The FAA provides licenses for this type of drone photography, and I have completed all necessary and appropriate steps to test, pass, apply for and be granted a UAS License to fly for the purpose of commercial photography here in Wyoming. 

If you are considering hiring anyone for this type of photography, be sure they provide you with their UAS Remote Pilots License or Certificate, Drone Registration, and Airspace Waiver or Authorization form if applicable. If you don’t, you and your photographer may be in volition of federal, state or local laws. 

I am proud to provide that proof right here. Additionally, my drone is legally and properly registered with the FAA. Here are links to my documentation and certificates:


What is an unmanned aircraft system (UAS)? An unmanned aircraft system is an unmanned aircraft and the equipment necessary for the safe and efficient operation of that aircraft. An unmanned aircraft is a component of a UAS. It is defined by statute as an aircraft that is operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.


How do I fly a UAS for work or business purposes? There are two ways to fly a UAS for work, business, or non-recreational reasons:

  • Following the requirements in the Small UAS rule Part 107
  • Obtain an airworthiness certificate for the aircraft


What is the Definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS? Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. For more info on the FAA's interpretation of this rule, click here.


How long can you fly? One battery will last on average for 25-30 minutes, however, I bring multiple batteries with me to stay in flight as long as you need!